Monday, March 13, 2006

Rock Hall of Fame/Hot Topics Trademarked “30 Years of Punk”

If you want to see just a few of my many Blondie and Sex Pistols shots, as well as previous inductees, check out jennylens.net and jennylens.net/merch. You can’t read the white text if on a Mac on jennylens.net, but I’ll fix, and redesign with more and larger photos in April.

Friday, Jonesy’s guest was Johnny Rotten Lyndon, brillant, acerbic, witty and right on. I loved his story about how the Rock Hall of Fame wouldn’t let him film there when he had his TV show. You think us punks forget those kinds of slights? I am so proud of them for telling the Hall what they could do with their induction. I too think it’s outrageous how expensive the tickets are for the inductees. The Ramones were so limited as to who could be there and it was such a slap in the face to all they’ve done.

Today Jonesy played a plethora of Sex Pistols related songs.

As for Blondie, I am happy for them. I don’t want to cast anything negative if someone is happy to be inducted. Quoting the Hall's website text re Blondie:

"Someone forgot to tell Blondie that New Wave bands weren’t supposed have hit records."

What kind of bullshit is that? You think Blondie, Ramones, Patti, Iggy, X, Weirdos, Screamers, Avengers, Clash and Pistols, Gen X, Jam, Sham 69, Boomtown Rats [oh, look at my photo list, you’ll get the idea] didn’t want to sell records?

And will someone please retire and bury the phrase “New Wave” forever? It was a lame record company industry term created to make punk or adventurous rock more marketable to fellow radio and mag personnel. They were bored, scared or indifferent to punk. I was there, I dealt with enough industry people to tell stories (if I had time).

You think the Rock Hall of Fame could hire someone to program their site so apostrophes appear instead of question marks? That’s what I’m seeing right now.

Of course I won’t stop calling it the Rock of Shame til Iggy and Patti are inducted. I wanted to verify Iggy still not in, but I can’t even find a list of inducted PAST rockers on their site. Some honor?

And if that means they won’t use any of my pix, so what. My new agency, Retna, told me they could have submitted many photos of Blondie. Of course I could have approached the Hall years ago. One guess why I wouldn’t. Oh well, there’s always tomorrow. And I don’t care.

While listening to Rodney on the ROQ last night, I was enthralled by MC Lars “Hot Topics is Not Punk Rock.” You can check out MC Lars’ lyrics online and hear the song on myspace (Google it).

Hot Topics usually brings a smile to my face, while at the same time concerns about over-commerciality of punk always causes conflict. I love the one-stop shopping as my time and money extremely limited. I hope people start at Hot Topics and then go to thrift shops, fabric stores, their closets, and grab a scissors, pins and thread and make up the rest. It’s fine as long as it’s not your whole look. Use some imagination, ok?

I was dismayed to see Hot Topics TRADEMARKED “30 Years of Punk.” Well, I’ve been shooting photos for the first “30 years of punk.” Many people are celebrating “30 years of punk.” I’ve earned the right to use this phrase any way I want. It’s more than a phrase, it’s been my life for 30 years of punk.

I wouldn’t mind if they actually CARED about what they carry. No matter how many times I inquire as to why they don’t carry ANY of the magenta/fushia colors I need for my hair, they never offer to special order for me, can never tell me if I can order online (it’s totally hit and miss). They carry several brands, Raw being my fave, but try finding in my colors in ANY of their brands!

They are also EXCLUSIVE distributors of several of the brands, so if they don't stock it, NO ONE else can. Hmm, since when is that punk rock?

I’d say their attitude and inability to stock hair colors was punk rock, but they are too corporate for that.

The idea of Torrid -- focusing on larger size and available only online -- reeks of discrimination against big girls. Guess they don’t want us fatties actually hanging out in their stores. Oh excuse me, since I lost so much weight, I weigh less than the average female. But I’ll always be curvy, and I’ve never worn micro-minis. When will retailers realize people are getting bigger or just might want to be comfy in their punk clothes? Tight is not always what we want.

Gotta finish my book, several other books, docs, CDs, etc and gallery shows. Every day I get more calls and emails. That’s cos I started shooting in the first year of 30 years of punk.

[I moderate posts to prevent spam, but blogger.com not posting approved comments, so here they are:

"polaroid wallah:
...just wanted to tell you how much i enjoyed your post, especially want to encourage you to keep on using '30 years of punk,' man, you earned it (how old were you when you started anyway, 6?...keep up the good work...check out my deep background archives at: www.truecrimeconfidential.blogspot.comit's the official POLICE AND THIEVES blog, anarchy in the UK!....let's trade links...best, john"

darnit, lost the others ones, oh well . . . life goes on!]

1 Comments:

Blogger polaroid wallah said...

...just wanted to tell you how much i enjoyed your post, especially want to encourage you to keep on using '30 years of punk,' man, you earned it (how old were you when you started anyway, 6?...keep up the good work...check out my deep background archives at:

www.truecrimeconfidential.blogspot.com

it's the official POLICE AND THIEVES blog, anarchy in the UK!....let's trade links...best, john

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home