Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Emails between Hot Topics CEO and Myself

Only have a brief moment, but I've shared some lively and positive emails with the CEO of Hot Topics, who happens to also be a woman. To summarize: they're cool. As with any trademark, be careful how it's used. I much rather see that phrase used by Hot Topics, who at least honor and celebrate punk, than some soda or car company taking that phrase without earning it.

It's not Hot Topics' fault if people think being punk is ONLY buying from them. It's a starting point. I discovered "Punk Rock Confidential" there and subsequently was prominently featured in it. Which wouldn't have happened if I didn't find it at Hot Topics.

I could say more, but I'm under deadlines slip sliding away. Gotta make some money so I can buy magenta hair color at Hot Topics, when they've got it on the shelves! It's not easy being magenta!

From their CEO:

"Hi Jenny,

I appreciate you taking the time to write me. It would be great if every email I received was a positive one, but I know that's not always going to be the case. Our company culture has always been about being open minded, so your point of view is appreciated.

As for our celebration of 30 years of punk, most of us are true punk fans like yourself, having been around during in the 70's. In the true punk spirit, we love punk and wanted to celebrate. Punk is all about doing and saying what you think, even at the cost of pissing a few people off. In fact, I actually like the idea of our relatively insignificant retail promotion actually causing an emotional reaction.

Positive or negative, I love the emotion and angst.

A good friend of mine made a comment to me that punk rock has not become mainstream, but rather the mainstream had found punk rock. I agree with that statement. One promotion does not dictate how a person thinks, his lifestyle or his attitude. True love of punk is something that lies within a person's soul and NO retail store can sell that attitude or way of life.

Thanks for taking the time to write to me.

Sincerely,"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home