Monday, December 12, 2005

Punk Photo show a Success!

Life just getting better, the result of a lot of hard work and good friends. Friday, December 9 I dropped my photos at Subliminal Projects, Shepard Fairey's gallery next to the Wiltern, at Wilshire and Western. Saturday night, all night long, people kept asking: "are these YOUR photos? YOU took all of these?" I nodded and watched their faces as they tried to process the fact I took so many classic punk and rock (had to display a Stones shot) shots they loved. Great talk with Shepard -- a real mutual admiration society between us.

Imagine we both "grew up" enjoying each other's work, although he is much younger than I. His staff were so respectful and his wife so friendly. Shepard plays the BEST music in town! If you need a stellar DJ, call on him. He gave me one of his last remaining signed "Walk the Line" posters, knowing how much I love it, and several others. I was blown away! All it took was an email to me and we've got some projects lined up.

After dropping off pix on Friday, I drove down Wilshire to see the streets all decked out for the holidays (gotta drive through Beverly Hills and check out the windows!) to the Academy of Arts and Sciences, the folks who bring us the Oscars. They always have stunning free exhibits. The first honored Hans Drier, the brillant art director for early Paramount Films, starting in the the 1920's to 1938. His drawings were accompanied by still photos and a DVD of film clips. Breathtaking!

Downstairs, cinematographers displayed their off-set photos, demonstrating their ability to capture in one image what they usually captured in sequences. OK, now you know my photo background. I created art from earliest times, earned degrees, exhibited in museums and galleries BEFORE punk, but never studied photography in school, although I always took photos for fun. My first true love are movie stills, not rock photos. And that is how I learned the art of photography, from the masters of cinema.

Saturday I caught a big screen presentation of the one and only "Robin Hood," digitally restored as part of a Technicolor tribute from the American Cinematheque. I sat so close to the screen I could see every golden thread, every bead, every detail. I was entranced, having seen that film more times than I can count. I danced out of the classic old theatre to a beautiful afternoon, with breezy clouds and the most glorious sunlight. Late autumn, early winter bathes LA in irridescent pinks, yellows and blues. Soon I was at my photo opening.

I met two women starting a new gallery who can't wait to showcase a larger show of mine. One asked how I met Shepard. The same way I meet most people these days: via the net. I've "spoken" to Allison Anders, off in Toronto on a film gig (talking about my fave actress Greta Garbo's skin care); Hellin Killer, more than likely on her way to see the Germs in San Diego (with Bauhaus, the Bravery, Aklaline Trio and Louis XIV: if anyone catches that show, write me!! All my friends are dyin' to know how that goes down); a myspace pal in Florida who also knows Regi; Rover cos I sent her Regi's prision address, and Gerber and I are gonna try to help him get out, IF he sends me the info we need to spring him. Legally, of course. I called Michael Pilmer of Devo Obsesso and Mark Mothersbaugh's art curator, to wish him happy birthday and he reminded me he's gonna take me to Devo when they play out in the Valley (oh shit, I grew up there, ick) in January.

Sunday I ran into artist Coop and his wife Ruth. I attended a party for Gary Panter (Nov 20), the creator of the infamous Tomata Screamer logo, now being honored at MOCA (their show on comic artists) at Coop's Brewery studio. I talked with Matt Groening (Simpsons and Life in Hell), Jaime and Gilbert Hernandez, the two brothers behind "Love and Rockets," and other comic/graphic artists. It's a thrill to meet Coop, I just love his volumptuous red devil women. I saw a lot of them at Kimm Gardner's California Mart showroom last summer. I was at Kimm's DVD taping of his band, Channel 3, at Alex's on Nov 26. Kimm is such a good friend and all around nice dude.

Today archivist/writer/musician David Jones listened as I analyzed the Screamers' songs, always suggesting what I want to read in his book about early LA punk. He offered to take me to Social Distortion -- ohmygawd I am so in love with Mike Ness, what a brillant singer/songwriter! I wrote to the band because I have killer shots of Charlie, when he drummed with the Plugz, but no response to those emails. I hate the House of Blues and we don't wanna drive to Anaheim. Now if the sound were better, if I could find somewhere I could hear, see, and dance, then I'd be all over HOB. But talk about the Blues! Icky. I said I rather he spend the money on prints. I described some I've printed for clients that I want in my portfolio. He told me to print some for both of us, his gift, and maybe the show. Lots of work to do, have to scan some slides and negs for online customers. I crop the images, with printing instructions for my custom photo labs. I'll be picking up and mailing pix all week long.

Then Saturday it's a BIG party, wherein I'll see lots of my punk pals from the past. Other parties on the horizon, but it's tough for me. I gotta watch what I eat and drink -- why is it so hard to take and keep off weight and so easy to put it on? Just got back from a long walk, part of it through the cemetary. Few know there's a cemetary across the street from a college near me. I saw so many flowers and a little Xmas tree. How can I complain about my weight when I'm still out walking, and so many early punks aren't? How can I complain about too much food when people are starving? Back to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home